Walkers Opticians in Durham is right on the Market Place. The building we now occupy has been a number of things starting life in the 1800’s as C. Thwaites Printers and a carved entwined C and T can be seen in the stone above the bay window. In the 1920’s the building was taken over by Durham City Dairy and they turned the upstairs into a tearoom.

20140808_095622

Walkers Opticians has been here since the 1950’s when the shop frontage was ‘modernised’ keeping only part of the carved frontage with the Durham crests which are now restored and painted in their original black and red and returned to the decorative carving above the ground floor window.

20140808_095640